CLICK HERE TO VISIT FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/events/1113726135320791/
Activists will converge from around the nation to the Stop ALEC Fest 2015 in San Diego, July 22, 2015 at Grand Hyatt Hotel (Harbor at Kettner).
CRITICAL MASS WILL CONVERGE AT THE GRAND HYATT HOTEL AT 5PM on JULY 22.
MANY OTHER EVENTS ARE PLANNED BUT PLEASE TRY TO ADD YOUR PRESENCE TO THE MAIN EVENT!
If you are an organization, please plan to take a role during the three days they are having their meeting here!
7/21 (Day before the event)
~8:30pm Light up towers + Press Conference
3pm - Rally at Civic Center (Union Sponsored!)
4pm - March from Civic Center past Chamber of Commerce to Hyatt
~5pm - March arrives at Hyatt <-- MAIN EVENT
~6:30pm - Balloon Launch
~6:30pm - 2nd Rally -- Speakers at Hyatt at Kettner and Harbor.
Pantoja Park is about 1.5 blocks North and will be our base camp, (has porta-potties) and will have hot dogs available sponsored by Nurses Union.
MORE EVENTS ON SUBSEQUENT DAYS STILL BEING PLANNED!
Help this event happen in San Diego! SPEAK OUT AGAINST THE CORPORATE ELITE THAT HAVE THEIR WAY WITH OUR DEMOCRACY...
PLEASE JOIN THIS EVENT AND SHARE IT NATIONWIDE! CONVERGE ON SAN DIEGO THIS YEAR TO EXPOSE ALEC AND THEIR MALFEASANCE!
Through the secretive meetings of the American Legislative Exchange Council, corporate lobbyists and state legislators vote as equals on ‘model bills’ to change our rights that often benefit the corporations’ bottom line at public expense. ALEC is a pay-to-play operation where corporations buy a seat and a vote on ‘task forces’ to advance their legislative wish lists and can get a tax break for donations, effectively passing these lobbying costs on to taxpayers.
Along with legislators, corporations have membership in ALEC. Corporations sit on ALEC task forces and vote with legislators to approve “model” bills. They have their own corporate governing board which meets jointly with the legislative board. (ALEC says that corporations do not vote on the board.) Corporations fund almost all of ALEC's operations.
1. Out of State Politicians who are on vacation here with their millionaire and billionaire friends should be back home working to make the lives of their constituents better, not scheming with lobbyists how to make their lives harder.
2. But ALEC has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in corporate lobbyist money on this vacation for politicians and corporate lobbyists so they can come up with a new round of bills which will harm America’s families.
3. The result of this junket: dozens of bills will be written by ALEC and forced into law across the country with no input from the voters whose lives will be affected.
4. These bills are nothing more than a way for the rich and powerful to squeeze every last dime they can out of families like ours all across the nation.
5. We do things differently here in California and are a model for the nation, and it’s time we stand up to ALEC to let them know they are not welcome here.
Participating legislators, overwhelmingly conservative Republicans, then bring those proposals home and introduce them in statehouses across the land as their own brilliant ideas and important public policy innovations—without disclosing that corporations crafted and voted on the bills.
ALEC boasts that it has over 1,000 of these bills introduced by legislative members every year, with one in every five of them enacted into law. ALEC describes itself as a “unique,” “unparalleled” and “unmatched” organization. We agree. It is as if a state legislature had been reconstituted, yet corporations had pushed the people out the door.